A master bedroom makeover doesn’t have to break the bank. Follow along as I make over our master bedroom on a budget
This post contains affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure HERE
You want to do a master bedroom makeover and you are pinning inspiration photos like mad. You spend your days trying to decide on a paint color and what type of bedside tables you want to buy.
Okay, well maybe you aren’t spending that much time, but you know what I mean. It’s on your mind and you want to make your master bedroom a relaxing, beautiful space to lay your head down in each night. There is one thing holding you back from your master bedroom makeover and it’s the B word…BUDGET.
I am right there with you sister! I want ALL. THE. THINGS. and I want them yesterday, but unless you have a money tree growing in your back yard (sadly I do not) it’s time to reign in those dreams and focus on a plan to get the master bedroom makeover of your dreams on your shoestring budget.
Last year I teamed up with a very talented group of design bloggers and we talked about DECORATING ON A BUDGET and there were a few common strategies shared by all of us.
- Shop your home first, the best decor is going to be what you have because odds are you already love it.
- Be prepared to do some DIY because even a few DIY projects can save you a ton of moolah.
- Look for items on Craigslist or at yard sales and thrift stores. And don’t forget Facebook Marketplace…I just recently discovered that little gem of a resource.
I’m going to add a fourth strategy to this list. Purchase the items you need one at a time. I know you want your space done as quickly as possible, I do too. But for my master bedroom makeover I am getting what I want one thing at a time, one paycheck at a time. Yes it will take longer and my need for instant gratification will not be satisfied, but once I am done our master bedroom will be exactly the way I want it to be with little to no compromise.
Rome was not built in a day. Patience is a virtue. Good things come to those that wait. I am going to keep telling myself that and I want you to do the same. Together we can have the space we want, one little bit at a time.
My last post was all about the before and the new layout of our master bedroom. So let’s talk about what is staying in the space. The things that can’t change and that I don’t want to change.
What’s Staying in Our Master Bedroom Makeover
- Our bedroom suit is staying. I really like our bedroom suit and even if I wanted to, buying a new one is way to expensive. About a year ago I did a makeover on our headboard using drop cloth fabric and it will still look great in my new vision for this space.
- Our bifold closet doors are most likely staying. I plan on painting them and getting new knobs unless I can find an extremely budget friendly alternative.
- The ceiling fan stays right where it is. It is only a few months old and when you get to a certain age fans of every type are a necessity.
What’s Changing in Our Master Bedroom Makeover
- Painting over the striped wall and painting the closet doors.
- New bedside tables
- Add lighting on both sides of the bed
- New artwork for the walls
- New bedding and decorative pillows (I am a pillow hoarder, remember?)
- Keep the bench or move it to another room…that is till up in the air
Inspiration for Our Master Bedroom Makeover
This gorgeous bedroom was done by Ashley of The Gold Hive. She was a featured designer for the spring One Room Challenge. I love the simplicity of this room, the architectural detail she added with the board and batten and those wall sconces.
This bedroom styled by Emily Henderson (one of my favorite designers) for Joanna Goddard of A Cup Of Jo has my color loving eclectic heart doing a happy dance. Those pillows! Those sconces! I am having a real thing with sconces lately.
So if I can marry the two, simple and serene with a pop of eclectic color and pattern, our master bedroom makeover will tick all the boxes for me. Hopefully for my hubby too. He will just roll his eyes and say whatever makes you happy. Gotta love a man like that!
Now head off and gather some inspiration for your master bedroom makeover and pin like crazy to Pinterest.
Master Bedroom Makeover Mood Board
Warm grays, coral and turquoise accents. SCONCES!!! Hahaha! Yes I am adding sconces to this master bedroom. I have some special artwork to add to the space and I will share all about it in an upcoming post.
Are you going to work on a room with me? Let’s do it together! Tell me all about your space in the comments below.
Talk to you soon,
DON’T FORGET TO PIN FOR LATER!