This modern macrame plant hanger for beginners is super easy to make, is made using only square knots, and can be made in under 20 minutes!
The first macrame project I made was a plant hanger. I think it’s where we all start when we get bit by the macrame bug.
Today’s macrame plant hangers can be modern and edgy, nothing like your grandma’s plant hangers.
Modern design can sometimes be characterized with color blocking.
Yep! We are adding that to this plant hanger too.
This post contains affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure here.
Materials needed to make a simple modern plant hanger
- 6 – 9ft lengths of 4mm natural colored cotton macrame string
- 2 – 2ft lengths of 3mm pink colored cotton macrame string
- 2 – 2ft lengths of 3mm mustard colored cotton macrame string
- 2 – 2ft lengths of 3mm black colored cotton macrame string
- measuring tape
Let’s get knotting!
- Feed 6 9ft lengths of string through the ring making sure the ends meet to make them even. This will give you 12 strings
- Beginning with the mustard colored string, wrap it around the strings just under the wooden ring and secure using a gathering knot. I like to wrap about 7 times. Continue doing this with the pink and black string reducing the amount of wrap arounds to create a modern color block effect
- Divide the 12 strings into 3 groups of 4, choose strings that are next to each other as much as possible. Think of the groups as arms 1,2, and 3
- Measure down 5 inches on arm 1 and tie a square knot, then measure down 2 inches and tie a square knot, measure down another 2 inches and tie a square knot, measure down another 2 inches and tie a square knot. Repeat this with arms 2 and 3 making sure that the square knots on each arm are level with the knots on the other arms.
- Holding arms 1 and 2 next to each other so that all the strings are side by side, take the 4 middle strings, measure down 5″ and tie one square knot.
- Take the 2 outside strings from arm 2 (that you didn’t use to tie the above square knot) and the 2 strings from the left side of arm 3 and tie 1 square knot, making sure it is level with the first square knot you tied.
- Take the 2 right side strings from arm 2 and the 2 left side strings for arm 3 and tie 1 square knot, making sure it is level with the other 2 knots you already tied.
- Take the 2 right side strings from arm 3 and the 2 remaining strings from arm 1 and tie 1 square knot, making sure it is level with the other 3 knots you already tied. Once this is done all 3 arms of the plant hanger should be joined together.
Making the basket of your plant hanger
- Measure down 4 inches and gather all the strings together, secure using gathering knots in the same pattern used at the top.
- Trim hanging strings to desired length to create a tail for the plant hanger. I recommend 5-6 inches, but it is entirely a personal preference.
Watch the video below to see how to make this plant hanger. Sometimes watching how to make a project is better than a written tutorial.
Macrame has made a big come back in the past couple of years. It can be totally Boho, or it can take on a more modern look. It just all depends on the colors you use and the amount of detail you put in it.
This modern macrame plant hanger is made using only square knots with a minimal pattern and color blocking to add a modern touch. All in less than 20 minutes!
DON’T FORGET TO PIN FOR LATER!
What colors will you use for the color blocking?